John 1:1, The Word was Elohim. Is Yeshua or the Father the God (Elohim) of the Old Testament (Tanakh)? For many believers in Yeshua, there is confusion as to who it was in the Godhead who interacted with the Israelites in the Tankah. Was it the Father or the Son? In the minds of the apostolic writers, there was no confusion about this. Yeshua, in his preincarnate state, was the One that YHVH Elohim the Father used to both create (John 1:3; Col 1:16; Heb 11:3), and then to interact with mankind. He was the Word of YHVH Elohim, the Father, who become flesh and dwelt among men (verse 14). This truth is easily confirmed in several passages in the Testimony of Yeshua (New Testament).
First, Yeshua himself claims to be YHVH or the I Am of the burning bush (see John 8:58 cp. Exod 3:14). The Jews viewed Yeshua’s claim to be deity as blasphemous, which is why they picked up stones to kill him (John 8:59). Next, Yeshua in declaring to the Jewish religious leaders that “I send you prophets, wise men and scribes: some you will kill…” (Matt 23:34), he is claiming the rights and prerogatives of YHVH — a right and role that solely belonged to YHVH in the Tanakh.
Yeshua also declared that no man has seen the face of Elohim the Father (John 5:37). Yet Continue reading
The eyes of YHVH are upon the righteous, and his ears are open unto their cry. (Psalm 34:15)
The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. (James 5:16)
If you have suggestions for additions to this prayer list, please post them in the comments section. Thank you for praying!
- Pray for those who for some reason feel they cannot go on…that they would reach for help and FIND it so that they do not chose to take their lives in despair.
- Pray for unity among the denominations. Yeshua said that those not against them were for them! There were and are differences and some are significant, but the heart of the Father would, I believe, wish for us to find SOME common ground…and love each other.
- Pray that history would be taught thoroughly and properly to our youth so that the mistakes of the past are not repeated.
- Although some depend on pharmaceuticals for their existence for some reason or another, and while lowering the prices of prescription meds is a GOOD thing, pray that people would be healed and not NEED these meds and that they would not be dependent on them. The whole pharmaceutical industry has become a giant entity that could control everyone who depends on it.
- Pray for the homeless, and pray that Father would reveal to each of us, someone who genuinely needs a hand out to help them back up.
- Pray for President Trump…for protection and good health for him and his family, for wisdom, knowledge, discernment, self control, courage, strength to lead our nation in spite of the opposition against truth and righteousness.
- Pray for the spiritual and political opposition…that their eyes would be open to Truth that they might turn to Father and follow His ways.
- Pray for the general population… that Father would pour His conviction out upon all and that we would all turn to Him in confession of sin, repentance, and obedience to Elohim.
- Pray that the conservatives of America would have the courage and strength to stand up and be active to the goal of protecting our southern border.
- Pray for the people who have so far been unable or unwilling to understand the sanctity of life from conception, so that they would reverse their thinking and remove unrighteous laws from the books that allow the murder of innocent babies.
- Pray for the people who honestly NEED asylum in America…that they would be shown proper channels, so that our nation could be a help to those truly in need.
- Pray for those in charge of voter registration to accomplish a purge of illegal voters, so that our elections would be AMERICAN elections.
- Pray for victims of human trafficking…that they would be found and returned and that this practice would be stopped.
- Pray for the leaders of “the church” who are whitewashing the Truth and deceiving their congregants.
- Pray that our Father’s will be accomplished in all things and that Yeshua would come soon.
- Prayer for Israel/Jerusalem, the land and the people.
- Our military and law enforcement for safety, and for strength for them and their families and especially for families of those lost in the line of duty.
- Those suffering with unseasonable cold weather conditions, especially the homeless and the poor.
- For those addicted…whether alcohol, drugs (prescription AND street), pornography.
A Word from Dr. Darlene
This whole idea of prayer has become more urgent I think. I notice a lot of people leaning towards prayer more frequently, more fervently.
We get so busy in this world of ours that it can honestly be difficult to develop that relationship with Father that we need and desire. Studying is good, but I don’t know that it really gets us closer to Him the way prayer does. When we study, we tend to get caught up in what we perceive as wisdom gained and perhaps we lose sight of the relationship that we should be cultivating.
Might I suggest something for those who struggle with finding the time, making the time, remembering the time…? Most now have a cellphone and they usually have an alarm on them. Consider setting the alarm for maybe 9 am, and 3 pm, and just take a brief moment to thank Father for what He’s done so far that day, and bless His Name…Praise Him! Then at 5pm, that alarm could go off to briefly pray for our nation and our leaders and for the peace of Jerusalem. I imagine the alarm already goes off to get you up, so don’t forget to thank Him for the very breath He opted to continue providing in that we woke up!
Hopefully there’s another time that is set aside to spend a bit more time with Him, but I am thinking that perhaps having those reminders to just stop for a minute and recognize the One who put us here…might go a long way to getting us in a greater habit of talking with Him on a regular basis so that we might get closer.
Exodus 32:1, Moses delayed coming. Moses is a prophetic picture of Yeshua. Moses’ descending from Mount Sinai is a prophetic picture of Yeshua descending from heaven to the earth the first and second time. When the people presumed that Moses delayed his coming, they fell to the temptation to syncretize with the heathen religious system around them by yielding to their baser nature giving in to the lusts of their flesh as expressed in golden calf worship. Heathen, man-made religious systems have lower moral and spiritual standards than those of YHVH. In many respects, the mainstream church has done the same thing as the ancient Israelites by acting as if Yeshua has delayed his second coming, and by conforming to some of the world’s standards and customs. This is a form of golden calf worship, which is a mixture of Torah-truth and pagan practices. Yeshua warned his disciples against this proclivity of humans to grow impatient and spiritually cold wile waiting for his return (Matt 24:48).
Exodus 32:2, Break off the golden earrings. The Christian people have generously given the mainstream church much gold and other wealth over the past 1900 years. In the mean time, with that wealth, the church system has constructed many huge religious monuments. These are monuments, in part, to the gods of materialism, and is a form of golden calf worship. Neither Yeshua nor his disciples needed vast sums of money, resources or monuments to spread the gospel message. What they lacked in material resources they made up with passion for the gospel message and with the anointing of YHVH to proclaim that gospel with miraculous power. What the mainstream church largely lacks in passion and the anointing to spread the gospel, they now, sadly, substituted with wealth and religious monuments.
The Golden Calf Incident: A Prophetic Picture of the Church
On Shavuot (the Feast of Weeks or Pentecost), at Mount Sinai, YHVH entered into a marriage covenant with the children of Israel, but they were not ready to live up to the terms of that covenant. Those terms, simply stated, involved the Israelites being faithful and obedient only to YHVH, Israel’s Elohim (God) and spiritual husband, and to follow his instruction in righteousness, the Torah. This Israel quickly demonstrated they were not Continue reading
Exodus 30:17–21, A laver of brass. The large bronze basin that was located in the courtyard of the Tabernacle of Moses just in front of the door of the tent of meeting was fabricated from the mirrors the Israelite women donated (Exod 38:8). Perhaps James the apostle had this tradition in view when he speaks of being a doer of the Word of Elohim, not just a hearer, for a hearer and not a doer is like one who sees himself in the spiritual mirror of Elohim’s Word and forgetting what he looks like does not allow the Word to transform him (Jas 1:22–25). We know that water is a poetic metaphor for YHVH’s Word (Eph 5:26; Tit 3:5; Heb 10:22; Deut 32:2).
In the laver, the Levites were to wash their hands and feet before going into the tabernacle, so that they would not die. The hands and feet represent the entire body since they are the highest and lowest parts of the body. They also represent our direction and our action—everywhere we go and all that we do—must be pure before ministering before YHVH.
The Bronze Laver in More Detail.
Constructed of the mirrors of the Israelite women, the bronze laver represents a believer looking into the Torah (YHVH’s instructions in righteousness) as a mirror, seeing himself for Continue reading
THIS WEEK’S SCRIPTURE READINGS FOR STUDY AND DISCUSSION:
Parashat Ki Tisa — Exodus 30:11 – 34:35
Haftarah — 1 Kings 18:1-39
Prophets — 2 Kings 17:1 – 23:37
Writings — Psalms 124:1 – 130:8
Testimony — John 1:1 – 4:54
Most of this week’s blog discussion points will be on these passages. If you have general comments or questions on the weekly Scripture readings not addressed in a blog post, here’s a place for you to post those. Just use the “leave a reply” link below.
The full “Read Through The Scriptures In A Year” schedule, broken down by each day, can be found on the right sidebar under “Helpful Links.” There are 4 sections of scripture to read each day: one each from the Torah, the Prophets, the Writings, and from the Testimony of Yeshua. Each week, the Torah and haftarah readings will follow the traditional one-year reading cycle.
Weekly Blog Scripture Readings for 2/17/19 through 2/23/19.
Exodus 30:1–10, Altar to burn incense. The golden incense altar was constructed of acacia wood covered in gold and was situated in front of the veil leading into the holy of holies (the most set-apart place) halfway between the menorah and the table of showbread. Like the table of showbread, it had a golden crown around the top of it, which points to Yeshua being the head of the body of believers. The priest burned incense on the altar twice daily, in the morning and the evening. Scripture reveals that incense represents the prayers of the saints rising up to heaven before the throne of Elohim (Ps 141:2; Rev 5:8), which in the tabernacle is pictured by the mercy seat in the most set-apart place or oracle (d’veer). The altar of incense was a place of deep prayer, praise, worship and intercession and speaks directly to the intimate twice daily prayer life and devotions of the born-again believer before the throne of the Father in heaven.
The Altar of Incense in More Detail
At the altar of incense, preparation was made to enter the most set-apart place (holy of holies). This altar was located just opposite the veil of the kodesh hakodashim (holy of holies) where the high priest offered up incense to the Father in heaven. This was the place of ultimate worship, prayer and intercession just before entering into the most intimate Continue reading
Yehovah Elohim, the disciples of Yeshua were so energized spiritually by his convincing bodily appearance to them after his resurrection that they immediately began preaching the gospel far and wide, and did so selflessly in the face of persecution, imprisonment, torture and even martyrdom. Prior to this, they ran away in fear from doing doing the great commission. Similarly, Yehovah Elohim, may Yeshua become so real to each of us, your end time servants, that we will follow in the disciples’ same footsteps of passionate and death defying zeal at sharing the message of Yeshua to those around us. Yehovah, give each of us a fresh revelation of Yeshua, and may this somehow empower us, stir up and set ablaze our lassitudenous, obdurate, tepid and, at times, effete hearts to fearlessly and enthusiastically proclaiming Yeshua the Messiah and his coming kingdom. Amein.
As a side note, I have more than 430 videos on the Hoshana Rabbah YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/HoshanaRabbah?feature=mhee), most of which are my own teachings. Some years back, I made a couple of short videos with tips on how to share the gospel with those around us via friendship or relational evangelism. Sadly, these videos are at or near the bottom of the list of the least watched videos on my channel. Enough said.