Yesterday I heard that the U.S. economy is down some 36 percent year to date. This means that many millions of people in America are out of work and are struggling financially. My heart goes out to them. On the other hand, my business (a tree care company) is booming. We have never been so blessed financially. How long will this last? I don’t know. What can we learn from this? I will share my thoughts below.
In 2014 when I was pastoring our local congregation, I gave a sermon about how not only to survive, but to thrive in the economic hard times that the Bible prophesies are coming in the last days. The key to surviving and thriving was based on solid biblical principles and walking in a trusting and obedient relationship with Elohim and abiding continually in Yeshua the Messiah. I made a video of this sermon which is hopefully still on our YouTube channel. Nevertheless below are the updated notes from the talk that I gave at that time.
Truly, YHVH has been faithful to our family in these difficult times. It is humbling and we are grateful. This doesn’t mean that we don’t expect to go through some trying economic times ourselves, and we are actively preparing for this. In the mean time, however, we have seen the hand of Elohim at work in our lives in some truly amazing ways as we have endeavored to follow the principles which I will share with you below. For YHVH’s merciful grace, we give him all the glory. May you be blessed as you hear and obey him as well!
The Bible Prophecies Economic Hard Times in the End Times
Just prior to the second coming of Yeshua the Messiah, Scriptures warns the end times generation about the events that will transpire globally. The student of the Bible and disciple of Yeshua would do well to heed these warning and to prepare for the events that are to come.
Here are several such biblical prophecies:
- Revelation chapters 13 and 18 is an end times prophecy about a new world order that Scripture refers to as Babylon the Great. There we read that men will be slaves to a global, fascistic, collectivistic, oligarchic economic system that will control their lives and even determine who is able to buy or sell, that is, to survive economically.
- Revelation chapter six speaks about the famous four horsemen of the apocalypse. One aspect of this prophecy is economic woes which also includes war, famine and disease.
- In Matthew 24, Yeshua declares that as it was in the days of Noah prior to the flood, so shall it be just before his second coming. That is to say that life will continue with some degree of normalcy, even though the book of Revelation’s prophesies that there will be economic privation along with wars, famines, disease pandemics, and some sort of a global totalitarian governmental system among other things.
In light of what the Bible tells us is coming prior to the second advent of Yeshua the Messiah, how can we prepare ourselves to survive these economical dark times?
Obeying YHVH’s Torah Brings Blessings
The Bible teaches one thing over and over again: obedience to the word, instructions and commandments of Elohim not only is the right thing to do, but it brings blessings from heaven. To disobey (called sin) brings curses. A wise person will obey YHVH’s Torah-instructions in righteousness (that is, to diligently hearken unto the voice of YHVH and follow his Word) so that YHVH can bless a person. When we disobey his instructions (called sin) we bring curses upon ourselves (read Proverbs chapters one through four). If one is living contrary to the Torah-word of Elohim, now is the time to repent of Torahlessness or sin, turn back to wisdom and righteousness and get back into alignment with the Word of Elohim, so that he can bless you. When we are walking in obedience to YHVH’s instructions as revealed in the Bible, we will be living in YHVH’s spiritual river of life where there is safety from harm danger along with blessings and provision. The Scriptures are clear on this:
- Exodus 15:26, YHVH promises good health to those who obey his commandments.
- Leviticus 26:3–13 and Deuteronomy 28:1–14, YHVH promises a multitude blessings for obedience to his commandments (see also Deut 7:12–15).
The World’s Philosophy Versus Biblical Principles
Experiencing YHVH’s blessings and provision in times of difficulty involves the saint living in accordance with YHVH’s kingdom principles of prosperity and blessings. Often these principles are the opposite of what the world practices and what we as humans are naturally inclined to think and do. For example…Continue reading