John 10:3, Hear his voice.
YHVH Wants to Commune With His People
From the beginning in the Garden of Eden, YHVH wanted to have a personal, communicative relationship with men.
And they heard the voice [Heb. kol] of the YHVH Elohim walking in the garden in the cool [Heb. ruach] of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence [Heb. panyim] of the YHVH Elohim amongst the trees of the garden. And the YHVH Elohim called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou? And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself. (Gen 3:8–10)
You Can Hear the Voice of YHVH
Yeshua tells us that we can hear his voice.
To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out. And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice. And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers. … My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. (John 10:3–5, 27)
Throughout the Bible, there are many examples of YHVH’s servants hearing his voice. Here are a few examples from the book of Acts of people hearing YHVH.
Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot. (Acts 8:29)
While Peter thought on the vision, the Spirit said unto him, Behold, three men seek thee. (Acts 10:19)
And the Spirit bade me go with them, nothing doubting. Moreover these six brethren accompanied me, and we entered into the man’s house. (Acts 11:12)
And finding disciples, we tarried there seven days: who said to Paul through the Spirit, that he should not go up to Jerusalem. (Acts 21:4)
It’s All About Spiritual Activation
To enter into a relationship with YHVH Elohim, our Creator and Father in heaven, and to become his sons and daughters, we must be spiritually activated.
Man is comprised of body, soul and spirit (1 Thess 5:23). Before being spiritually regenerated or born again, our soul (our mind, will and emotions) controls what we think, say and do. The Scriptures talk say this about the spirit in man.
But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding. (Job 32:8)
Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth? (Eccl 3:21)
The burden of the word of YHVH for Israel, saith YHVH, which stretcheth forth the heavens, and layeth the foundation of the earth, and formeth the spirit of man within him. (Zech 12:1)
For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of Elohim knoweth no man, but the Spirit of Elohim. (1 Cor 2:11)
Man can’t enter into a relationship with a YHVH who is a Spirit through his soul. Elohim is a Spirit, and we must relate to him through his the Spirit.
But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. (1 Cor 2:14)
But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. Elohim is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. (John 4:23–24)
For man to relate to Elohim, he must do so through his spirit. This means man’s spirit must be activated at the time of his new spiritual birth. When this occurs, a man receives in himself the Spirit of Elohim, which activates and controls the spirit in man, which in turn controls the soul (the mind,will and emotions), which in turn the body what to think, say and do.
When we are born again from above our spirit man is activated by the Spirit of Elohim.
The spirit of a man is the lamp of YHVH, Searching all the inner depths of his heart. (Prov 20:27)
But there is a spirit in man, and the breath of the Almighty gives him understanding. (Job 32:8)
The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of Elohim (Rom 8:16)
That He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man, that Messiah may dwell in your hearts through faith (Eph 3:16–17)
Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from Elohim, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by Elohim. These things we also speak, not in words which man’s wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual. But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of Elohim, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. (1 Cor 2:12–14)
But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and you know all things. … But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him. (1 John 2:20, 27)
And every spirit that does not confess that Yeshua the Messiah has come in the flesh is not of Elohim. And this is the spirit of the Antimessiah, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world. (1 John 4:3)
Steps to Take to Hear His Voice
- There are a number of easy steps we can take to begin hearing YHVH’s voice.
- We must believe that YHVH wants to speak to us.
- We must expect him to speak to us.
- To hear YHVH’s voice, we must first take time to be alone with him. How can we expect to hear him if we don’t take quiet time away from the noise and business of our daily routines to listen to him? Yeshua asked his disciples to watch (Gr. gregoreua, Strong’s G1127 meaning “to be vigilant, give strict attention, to be cautious”) and to tarry (Gr. mena, Strong’s G3306 meaning “to remain, abide, sojourn, not depart, continue, to be held, endure”) with him in prayer at least one hour (Matt 26:38, 40).
- This occurs through studying and meditating on his written Word and filling our mind with his thoughts.
- We must surrender our own will in a matter and be obedient to whatever YHVH’s directs us to do.
- After asking YHVH for his direction, we must be willing to wait patiently on him for the answer.
- We must ask for and expect the Spirit’s direction and input when we study YHVH’s Word. It is the Spirit who interprets the Word to us and reveals the truth contained therein (John 16:13)
- We must then listen for him to speak while we pray (talk) to him.
- Being obedient and thankful when he does speak.
Know the Four Voices
James tells us that there are four voices coming into your head: that of the world, the flesh, the devil and YHVH. We must learn to differentiate between these four voices to know the voice of YHVH (Jas 3:13–18). In this passage, James discusses heavenly versus demonic wisdom and how to tell the difference between the voice of Elohim speaking to you, and the voice the world, the flesh and the devil.
Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? Let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom. But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth. This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish. For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work. But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace. (Jas 3:13–18)
When we get thoughts and impressions that we think are the leading of the Holy Spirit, we must first determine their origin by putting them to the spiritual test. Is what we are hearing wisdom or knowledge that is from above, or is it wisdom or knowledge is from below—that is earthly (of this world), sensual (from the carnal mind of man) or devilish (from the demonic realm, Jas 3:13–15)? How do we know its origin? James tells us. The wisdom that is from below is envious, selfish or self-seeking, engenders confusion, and produces evil, while that which is from above is pure, peaceable, gentle,willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and hypocrisy, and it produces righteousness (Jas 3:16–18).
Yeshua wants to talk to his spiritual sheep. In John chapter four, Yeshua declares that he is the Good Shepherd, and that his sheep hear and know his voice, that he calls them by name, and that he leads them spiritually and they follow him (John 10:3–4). At the same time, someone else is vying for the sheep’s attention—the thief. Yes, the thief wants to lead the sheep astray, for his intention is to kill, steal and to destroy (John 10:1, 8, 10), while the Good Shepherd wants to save and protect the sheep (John 10:9, 11, 14).
Throughout the pages of the Bible we read the record of YHVH Elohim speaking to his servants and leading them. Yeshua makes it clear that he is still speaking to and leading his sheep, and the Book of Acts and the Epistles confirm this.
How Does YHVH Speak to His People?
The Bible and common sense reveals a number of ways by which YHVH speaks to his people.
- A physical or audible voice
- By dreams and visions
- Through other people (e.g. YHVH’s ministers)
- By angels
- Through circumstances
- Through impressions in our mind
- Through things in the physical realm we see and hear
- Through the written Word of YHVH
- Through the casting of lots
- Anyway he wants (e.g., speaking through Balaam’s ass)
All of these areas have their natural manifestations and spiritual counterfeits, so one must be discerning. For example, just because one hears an audible voice or has a dream doesn’t mean it’s from YHVH. We must test everything. To help us differentiate between YHVH’s voice and the other voices, keep the following scriptures in mind:
Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thess 5:21)
Let every word be established in the mouth of two or three witnesses. (Matt 18:16; 2 Cor 13:1)
Proving a Message Is Actually from YHVH
Further testing of a word from YHVH involves keeping in mind the following principles:
- Is it scriptural? It must be in harmony with Scripture. When determining this, we must be certain that we’re not twisting the Word of Elohim (the Bible) to make it say what we want.
- Is it right? It must be in harmony with YHVH’s will as revealed in man’s moral conscience.
- Is it providential? Does it indicate the divine hand, activity or moving of YHVH? Are doors opening and shutting before and behind you, are circumstances accommodating the path he wants you to take? He doesn’t ask of us that which is impossible for us to do. He makes a way and gently leads us forward.
- Is it reasonable? It must be in harmony with YHVH’s will as revealed to man’s reasoning powers as illuminated by the Holy Spirit. The voice of YHVH conveys instructions that are reasonable, not silly or whacky.
YHVH quietly leads his sheep, he doesn’t drive them. His voice is gentle and tender, yet persuasive, not demanding. The voices of the world, flesh and the devil are feverish, loud, clamorous and often impetuous.
When YHVH speaks, he gives one sufficient time to test or confirm the word to prove if it’s true or not. On the other hand, the voice of the enemy demands immediate action, and fearing detection, clamors for immediate action.
With the voice of YHVH comes a deep and glowing sense of peace and joy in your inner Spirit — not agitation, strife, anger, pride, self-aggrandizement or any of the other manifestations of the works of the flesh.
Beware of the Counterfeit
Many times people are hearing a voice from within, but it’s not the voice of YHVH. Instead they are hearing…
- Carnal feelings
- Carnal imagination
- Carnal dreams
- Carnal infatuations
- Carnal impulses
- Carnal passions
- Carnal notions
- The inclinations of the flesh
- The opinions of others
- Signs that aren’t signs
- Chance happenings
Results of Hearing the Wrong Voice
The results of hearing another voice (the world,the flesh or the devil) can be an indicator that we haven’t heard from YHVH. The results of hearing another voice can lead to…
- Undue hurry
- Unwise action
Hindrances to Hearing YHVH’s Voice Must Be Removed
What are some hindrances that prevent us from hearing the voice of YHVH clearly or at all?
Unbelief. We must believe that YHVH talks to his people, and that he wants to talk to us. There are numerous examples of YHVH speaking to his people in the Scriptures, and we must believe that he has not changed (Mal 3:6) and that he is the same yesterday, today and forever (Heb 3:8), and that he is not a respecter of persons (Acts 10:34) and, therefore, he wants to talk to us.
An undeveloped spirit. We naturally tend to listen to our minds and bodies more than our spirits. We are spirit beings made in YHVH’s likeness who is a Spirit. If we want to be able to hear YHVH and receive his guidance, we must develop our spirits, for it is through our spirits that YHVH leads us (Rom. 8:14, 16).
Sin. Sins of all kinds hinder us from hearing YHVH, since separates us from YHVH. Sin makes us spiritually deaf. Specific sins strong holds that block especially block our ability to hear YHVH include
- doubt and unbelief
- offense, strife, division between brothers (Matt 5:23–24; 1 Pet 3:7)
A calloused conscience. Your conscience is the voice of the human spirit. When the Spirit of Elohim bears witness with your obedient, sensitive conscience, you have a safe, sure guide to the will and purpose of YHVH However, if you willfully rebel against the Word of Elohim and violate your conscience, you open up yourself to voices of deception, destruction and spiritual delusion. That is why a tender, child-like and sensitive conscience is so important.
Neglect. We can neglect to cultivate time of intimate relationship and communion with YHVH. We must learn to sit at Yeshua’s feet. If we neglect to do this, we will become deaf to his word.
How to Sharpen Our Ability to Hear YHVH (Using YHVH’s Hearing Aids)
- We must read and study Scripture regularly to understand the heart, mind and will of YHVH. By daily spiritually “bathing” or “washing” (Eph 5:26) in YHVH’s Word, it removes from us the spiritual filth of the world and the flesh so that we can hear the Spirit more clearly. When we study the Word of Elohim it tunes our spiritual ears to the things of the Spirit so that we are able to distinguish truth from error and recognize the voice of Satan and that of YHVH. YHVH’s Word feeds our inner or spirit man so that we can become mighty in the Spirit and mighty at hearing YHVH’s voice speaking to us.
- By being in the Word, we will have the truth and spiritual tools (the sword of the Spirit) to defeat the devil traps, snares, false words, reasonings and temptations.
- Be grateful. Thank YHVH when he speaks to you.
- When he speaks to you, obey him.
- Talk to him, ask him questions. Wait for the answers. Ask him to lead and guide your life, even down to the smallest details. When he answers, write it down.
- Put sin out of your life and walk a life that’s totally consecrated (sold out) to YHVH — a life of total obedience.