Mark 5:1–20, The Gadarene demoniac.
This encounter between Yeshua and this demon-possessed individual teaches us about the characteristics of one who is tormented, oppressed or even possessed by an evil, unclean spirit.
- One with an unclean spirit is “unclean in thought and life” (Mark 5:2).
- Such an individual may have a pre-occupation with things relating to death and dying (Mark 5:3).
- They may possess superhuman strength thanks to the aid of the demon in them (Mark 5:4).
- They may act wild, and unable to be restrained (Mark 5:4).
- They may be prone to fits of shouting loudly (Mark 5:5), shrieking or making a shrill cry (Mark 9:18).
- They may cut themselves, or resort to other acts of self-mutilation (Mark 5:5) or self destruction (e.g. burning oneself by fire, Matt 17:15; Mark 9:22), or attempts at drowning (Mark 9:22).
- The demoniac may possess supernatural knowledge (Mark 5:7).
- The demon can speak through the demonized person (Mark 5:7), or cry out (Mark 9:26).
- A demonic spirit wants to possess or inhabit something; if not a human, then an animal (Mark 5:12), or a house, an objects like idols or books (Acts 19:19; Rev 13:15) or even a mechanical device or “matrix” (e.g. the image of the beast in Rev 13:13–14).
- They may be clothed improperly or scantily (Mark 5:15).
- They will not a possess a “right [sound, self-controlled, sober]” mind (Mark 5:15).
- A demonic or an unclean spirit may cause convulsions or spasmodic contractions, bodily contortions within a person, or cause a person to be hurled to the ground (Mark 1:25; 9:18, 20) resulting in one wallowing or rolling around on the ground (Mark 9:20).
- Epileptic-type seizures or madness can be symptoms of demon possession (Matt 17:15).
- A demoniac may foam at the mouth (Mark 9:18, 20).
- A demoniac may grind or gnash their the teeth (Mark 9:18)
- A demonic spirit can cause one’s body to waste away, dry up or become rigid (Mark 9:18).
- Demonic spirits can accompany people as they come into the congregation of YHVH (Mark 1:23; Luke 4:33).
- A demonic spirit can make one to be mute or unable to speak (Mark 9:17).
How does one deal with a demon or demonic influence in a person? The short answer is this: Preach the gospel to them, and if they believe in Yeshua the Messiah, then, in the name of Yeshua, cast the demon out of them (Mark 16:15–17). Remember these things:
Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases. (Luke 9:1)
Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you. (Luke 10:19)
Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. (1 John 4:4)
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. (Jas 4:7)
And they overcame [Satan the serpent] by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death. (Rev 12:11)
Very well put together Brother and more importantly how to deal with such issues. Big thanks for your ministry Brother.
It’s been a while since I was able to take the time and visit the blog to do some reading. But just like going to my favorite restaurant I’m never disappointed when I show up.
It’s amazing to see the handiwork of our father in the timing of things. which is what I was just telling my son whom I am building a relationship after 23 years.
Timing is everything. When it’s on Yahovahs time.
But we won’t go into that deep subject.
I just wanted to point out the mystery and beauty of timing.
Let me explain further. My 17 year old daughter who is with child was just asking me yesterday about being sensitive to evil spirits. In light of the fact that one of her close friends is in it family that has practiced magic for at least two generations.
I had reservations about allowing her to go to his house and yesterday she gave me the evidence as to why I was feeling this way. She went on to explain how the young boy of 15 years old had drawn a pentagram protection spell in the middle of his room.
I won’t carry on about the details of our conversation as it was quite lengthy. I will just point out two things.
First it’s obvious what we’re probably all thinking. That he would have to stay in his room to stay protected and I actually told her that she might be able to share one of many things with him in the fact that she doesn’t need a circle to be protected but that she puts herself in a God bubble. I speaking with and having a relationship with the only true, ultimate and Almighty Protector in the universe. Our Father.
Second and think that I would like to point which is such a wonderful convenience and special connection is this.
After our conversation and being able to actually minister to her within the scriptures that I’m actually studying/putting to memory right now, James 3: 17
I was left with what I believe and I stress I believe the spirit was telling me. To spend some time in explaining in more detail. The exact same title of this article.
It was impressed on me too define evil, demonic spirits and the expressions of the enemy.
So that my daughter would have a biblical understanding to combat the understanding of the world the flesh and the devil.
So in short. Thank you once again my brother for this wonderful outline that I will be using to study with my daughter. Also I wasn’t able to say this in our last conversation but I wanted you to know that I personally am pouring over the Torah portion studies in the videos and have plans to print the Torah portion studies out.
Lastly, all things to our Heavenly Father who is Almighty all loving and all powerful.
And thank you to Yeshua for showing us how to fight our enemy.
Thank you for sharing. A blessing to me as always!