Yesterday I posted a disturbing news article about the horrific problem of child sex trafficking in the U.S. (and around the world). So far no comments have come in to this blog on disturbing story. Either it’s because people don’t care (which I doubt), or people don’t know what to say (I get that), or because people feel helpless to do anything about it (I get that too).
Well, there are some things that YOU can do. Here are my thoughts on this issue. (If you have any more suggestions, please post them in the comments section of this article, and I’ll add them to the list below.)
So what can YOU do about the rampant epidemic for child sex trafficking? Perhaps you don’t think you can do much. But really you can by tending to your own garden. You can begin by sharing the info on this blog (including the previously posted article on child sex trafficking) with those around you.
Chez vous (French for “at your own place”), there’s a lot you can do. As the saying goes, when the world is a mess and you can do much about it, you can sweep your own front porch or tend our own garden. This means strengthen your own family. Keep your marriages strong. Train your children, grandchildren and the other young people in your life in the ways of YHVH. (This is why I wrote and published Torah Explorers—https://www.hoshanarabbah.org/parshiot.html, so that parents would have a free tool to raise up their children in the ways of YHVH).
Here are some more things that YOU can do:
- Love your children unconditionally—even the prodigals. Be there for them. Stay close to them.
- Those of you who are retired, don’t selfishly move far away from your children and grandchildren, so that you can have your “fun in the sun” our whatever. Stay near them, so that you can exercise a godly influence on them and help to raise them.
- Parents, limit and monitor your kids’ internet time.
- Throw the television out the window!
- Don’t give your kids smart phones until they’re older and can handle it.
- On the settings mode of your children’s computers, set the controls so that porn can’t be viewed.
- Help your kids to choose righteous friend and know who their friends are.
- Homeschool your children. This means that one parent may have to stay home and forgo outside employment. You may have to reduce your income and lifestyle a bit by learning to live on one income. This investment in your family will pay off, though! (Try starting a home-based business with your kids and teach them some entrepreneurial skills.)
- Spend time as a family doing activities together, especially in the out-of-doors.
- Have regular prayer and Bible reading times with our children or grandchildren.
- “Adopt” a young person into your family who is troubled or comes from a broken family.
- The National Human Trafficking Hotline (NHTH) is a 24/7 phone number for victims and survivors of human trafficking. One can call this number with questions or tips, or for help in connecting with law enforcement or with people trained in helping victims. The phone number is 1-888-3737-888. The NHTH website is https://humantraffickinghotline.org.This hotline works in conjunction with and is supported by the US government’s Dept. of Health and Human Services (DHHS). For more info including victim assistance, training, and other resources go to https://www.acf.hhs.gov/otip/victim-assistance/national-human-trafficking-hotline.
Here are some additional ways you can help stop human sex trafficking: https://www.acf.hhs.gov/otip/about/ways-endtrafficking