Mark 5:1–20, The Gadarene demoniac. This encounter between Yeshua and this demon-possessed individual teaches us about the characteristics of one who is tormented or even possessed by an evil spirit.
- One with an unclean spirit is “unclean in thought and life” (Mark 5:2).
- Such an individual may have a pre-occupation with things relating to death and dying (Mark 5:3)
- They may possess superhuman strength (thanks to the aid of the demon in him, Mark 5:4).
- They may act wild, unable to be restrained (Mark 5:4).
- They may be given to fits of shouting loudly (Mark 5:5), shrieking or making a shrill cry (Mark 9:18).
- They may cut oneself, or resort to other acts of self-mutilation (Mark 5:5) or self destruction (e.g., burning oneself by fire, Matt 17:15; Mark 9:22), drowning (Mark 9:22).
- The demoniac may possess supernatural knowledge (Mark 5:7).
- The demon can speak through the demonized person (Mark 5:7), or cry out (Mark 9:26).
- A demonic spirit wants to possess or inhabit something; if not a human, then an animal (Mark 5:12), or to homes, to objects like idols or books (Acts 19:19).
- They may be clothed improperly or scantily (Mark 5:15).
- They will not a possess a “right [sound, self-controlled, sober]” mind (Mark 5:15).
- A demonic or an unclean spirit may cause convulsions or spasmodic contractions, bodily contortions within a person, or cause a person to be hurled to the ground (Mark 1:25; 9:18, 20), wallowing or rolling around on the ground (Mark 9:20).
- Epileptic-type seizures/madness can be symptoms of demon possession (Matt 17:15)
- A demoniac may foam at the mouth (Mark 9:18, 20)
- A demoniac may grind or gnash of the teeth (Mark 9:18)
- A demonic spirit can cause one’s body to waste away, dry up or become rigid (Mark 9:18).
- Demonic spirits can accompany people as they come into the congregation of YHVH (Mark 1:23; Luke 4:33).
- A demonic spirit can make one to be mute or unable to speak (Mark 9:17).
But thanks be to YHVH Elohim, our Father, who has given the saints of Yeshua the power over demonic spirits through the blood, the Word and the name of Yeshua the Messiah!
Luke 9:1, Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases.
Luke 10:18–19, And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven. Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.
See also James 4:6–10; 1 John 4:4; Revelation 12:11.